Sunday, December 16, 2007

Guitar Villain

This morning I was honored to play guitar in Grace's Christmas production, "Come Light Your World." I played acoustic for the first half and electric for the second half. Since I do not own an electric (although I wish I did...that would be GREAT) Clayton graciously loaned me his (This is a BIG deal that usually requires a deposit of blood and the promise of your first-born son). This is something I take very seriously for it is a great responsibility to cherish and protect someone else's baby. OK...all that to say that when I was putting it on it's stand this morning I did not check to make sure that it was balanced and as I turned away I saw it begin to fall. Now normally I am very quick to catch a guitar and would even sacrifice my body to protect one from harm but today...today I wounded my friend's guitar. It is an ever so small ding on the neck but I am still sick about it. Throughout the day the scene has been replaying in slow motion. "What could I have done differently?" "Why didn't I double check the stand?" "I should have gotten more sleep last night. Then I would have been able to reflex catch it." It's hopeless...I'm a guitar-aphile. I lured it away from it's owner and I robbed it of it's perfection. I'm guilty of first-degree neck-murder and there is no punishment to fit the crime. Thankfully Clayton was very gracious and saved his tears for the privacy of his own home. He said, "It had to happen sometime." But why did it have to happen to me? I'm sorry Clayton. I'm sorry Fender. I'm sorry Stevie, Jimi, Eric and Phil. I'm sorry world. I do not deserve to bear the name "guitarist."

4 comments:

clayton said...

Woe is me. My pristine electric guitar is forever tainted by the hands of another.

Whatever.

Not to brag about my stage of maturity, but it's just stuff. I try not to put too much value in my stuff.

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

Margo said...

don't listen to him...he cried like a baby the whole day!!! just kidding...but now he will use this as an excuse to get a new one. just what we need, more guitars.

Shellee said...

So...I'm guessing if someone fell asleep with someone else's guitar laying at the end of that said someone's bed and awoke to the sound of that other someone's guitar crashing to the floor, that would be bad? Hypothetically speaking, of course!

james said...

Yeah that wouldn't be good. I hope, hypothetically, that it was in the case.