Sunday, December 30, 2007

Watch Your Words

So I had to stop by the store on the way home from church (One where everything is generally a dollar...or two). As I was checking out the two cashiers were conversing about not having groceries because their children eat them out of house and home. One lady's son was older (I know this because she was older and because of what she was about to say.) and she was excited because he had decided to go back to school and try to make something of himself. He was going to get a degree in medical assistance. Then, without missing a beat the other lady chimed in and said that there isn't any money in medical assistance, that she had the same degree, and began to list her reasons why it was a terrible idea. It reminded me of the SNL sketch "Debbie downer" and I couldn't help but wonder how many times I have ruined someones excitement by saying something stupid. Sometimes people aren't asking for advice, they are just telling you something they find exciting. DG lady watch what you say.

No comments: